Definitions: F - Foundation
Similar - frostline
For a given location, the frost line is the maximum depth that ice will occur. A home's foundation footings and water supply piping must be located beneath the frost line.
References - frost line
See the following for additional frost line information:
- Masonry & Concrete Construction Craftsman Book Company; Rev Sub edition, December 1997, Kenneth J. Nolan, ISBN 1572180447
- For Pros by Pros Foundations & Taunton Press; 2nd edition edition, February 2003, Fine Homebuilding Magazine, ISBN 1561585378
- Building Code Basics: Residential: Based on 2009 International Residential Code BuilderBooks, January 1999, Jim Carr, ISBN 867184612
- The Contractor's Guide to Quality Concrete Construction American Society of Concrete Contractors, January 2005, American Concrete Institute, ISBN 870311670
- A Builder's Guide to Residential Foundation Insulation United States Department of Energy, December 2009, Editorial Staff
Service Professionals that can help with frost line issues
Common projects involving frost line
Hiring Local Professionals
Our FREE homewyse hiring guide helps you locate and hire great help, get quality craftsmanship and understand fair pricing on your specific project.
Help the homewyse Community
We're a cooperative community that values and depends on your input. So, let us know - how can we improve this site? Would your friends and online contacts benefit from homewyse information? Make homewyse better for everyone - send your feedback or share this page. Many thanks!